Ken's-Den

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

One Hill at a time

Back in April of this year I began running again. I run at a Forest preserve called Johnsons Mound. Johnsons Mound is basically a 50 foot high Hill out in the middle of a rolling Prarie. I have really enjoyed running there because it is a peaceful place, filled with beauty and solitude. The road I run is about 1 mile long and the Hill portion of it is at a fairly steep angle.

When I started running there, I was a 45 year old man that weighed about 217 pounds. I couldn't run 1/4 mile without having to stop and walk on that first day. But I was persistent and continued my torture on what I have since dubbed, "Hell Hill."

As the Summer progressed I got to where I could run the flat portions with no trouble but the Hill was a Bear. I would go determined to top the Hill without having to stop and walk and time after time I would fail. I ran until my Lungs would scream but still, no summit! I would get as close as 25 yards from the top but would just not be able to continue. But I'm a fairly persistent individual, so I just kept coming back. I would run as far as I could and then walk until I caught my breath and then run again. I got to where I was running/walking 3 to 4 laps at a time, 2 to 3 times a week but still---NO HILL!!!

Today was a GREAT day! I ran from the Start and reached the Hill, feeling pretty good. I got past the half way point, which I had done many times before but this time I felt different. I reached the 3/4 mark with plenty of Gas left in the tank. Oh, I was huffing and puffing but I just kept going. Finally, the day I've been waiting for all Summer came. I reached the summit without stopping!

I was somewhat in shock because when I left the House, I really didn't feel like going. I had a sore calf muscle and I was tired but did I mention that I'm fairly persistent? I did stop and walk for awhile after reaching the summit but I had a determination to top the Hill again, so once more around I went and I topped that Sucker one more time. There ain't no stopping me now!!

As the events of the day unfolded, I felt God beginning to deal with my heart. (not the one that was screaming at me) In life we are faced with many things that become difficult to us. There are times when we feel like giving up or quitting all together but we have to press on. There is a goal ahead of us. There is a Hill to climb and we can't get there setting on our Duffs complaining about how steep the Hill is.

The funny thing is that I have had a remarkably frustrating summer. I've dealt with some things that I would never have thought I would have to deal with. I've had "friends" that let me down in a most disappointing way. The Church has been through some garbage that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. For all the pain that Johnsons Mound cost me this year, it was a respite, a Shelter in the storm and a place of peace. Topping that Hill was a victory for me. It was then that I felt God speak, "One down, one to go!"

A few years back my Uncle Don reminded me of a saying that my GrandFather use to say. "A steady knock, breaks the rock." I'm not sure who all this is for but let me encourage you by saying, keep climbing that Hill! There is a victory ahead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home