Ken's-Den

Wednesday, July 09, 2008

The sound of Silence

No, I'm not going to go quoting any Simon and Garfunkel lyrics, although that is one of their better songs. What I'm talking about is the sound of a 10 year old being away at Youth Camp. We have had one quiet house this week and I haven't like it one bit!

Perhaps it is because we waited so long for Sam to come into our lives or maybe it's just my twisted nature, but I don't understand Parents wanting a break from their Kids. There are times the boy makes me want to pull the rest of my hair out in frustration but I don't like a single day without him around. I'm sure he has had a blast but we pick him up tomorrow and I can't wait!

On Wednesday, my Mom had another 39th Birthday celebration. (How many does that make, now, Mom?) She was able to celebrate it with my Uncle and his Wife, my Grandmother and of course, Dad. I'm sure it had to be a great and well deserved day.

I've been doing some thinking, (yes, it is a dangerous thing) on the idea of "importance" and how relative it is. For example, let's say that "tomatoes" are important to you on a BLT sandwich. In fact, let's say that to you, it is the most important ingredient involved. Now, while we are here in imagininary land, let's say you order a BLT somewhere and they bring you a BL because they ran out of tomatoes. You could become indignant and rant and rave about "how could you do this" and in the process offend someone that was simply trying to do their best or you could choose to look at it in another way. How truly "important" are your tomatoes, when there are people in this world that would give a weeks wages for Bread?

I know that the analogy is silly. Everyone knows that the most important part of a BLT is the Bacon!!! But sometimes, we need to learn to keep our tomatoes in check because whether we believe it or not, there usually are more important things than the ones we may tend to get hung up on. It's a lesson that God is teaching me the hard way. I hope you can learn from it!

Now, I have sufficently made myself hungry. Think I'll have a BLT!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home