Ken's-Den

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Christmas Songs that I don't Get

Have you ever wondered what some of the writers of Christmas songs were smoking at the time that they wrote them? Keep in mind that I do have a warped mind and I vehemently deny that I suffer from insanity! I enjoy every minute of it!

Example 1: DO YOU HEAR WHAT I HEAR?

Hello! What was this person thinking? Now Debbie tells me that I am over-analyzing it and it is like hearing a noise and asking, "Did you hear that?" But I say, NO! It's a SONG! And for the Singer to ask, "Do you hear what I hear?" boils down to basically, one of two things. They either think or wonder if I am deaf, or, they just don't think I am bright enough to realize they are singing.

Example 2: IT'S THE MOST WONDERFUL TIME OF THE YEAR

Besides the sickening sweet melody and the "a little too happy to be here" lyrics, there is a line in that song that is just, frankly, disturbing. It is this, "and scary ghost stories of Christmas's long, long, ago."
I have a lot of Christmas memories during my lifetime but I don't EVER remember sitting around the Christmas tree on Christmas Eve, having Ghost stories told to me! What kind of house did this guy grow up in? I'm betting they put the "fun" in dysFUNction! I suppose you could stretch the point to be talking about Scrooge but it sure wouldn't be as funny, and if you can't tell by now, that is what I'm going for here!

Example 3: SIMPLY HAVING A WONDERFUL CHRISTMAS TIME!

Nothing funny about this one. Besides his treatment of Heather Mills, this is one more thing that Paul McCartney should apologize for! While I usually like the musical stylings of Sir Paul, this one makes me want to run a screwdriver into my ears! It's nothing but a techno driven melody, with words repeated over and over and over again! I really believe that law enforcement could use it to coerce confessions!

Oh well, Whatever your choice of Christmas songs, I wish you and yours the best Christmas ever!

P.S.- Did I mention that I've never really gotten "Silent Night?" It is probably highly "non-spiritual" of me, but I'm betting that giving birth in a Stable, surrounded by animals, after riding a Donkey all night to get there, and then having this herd of Shepherds rush in to see, it probably wasn't very silent! (I do love the Song though):<)

1 Comments:

  • So totally agree with you. Brittany and I posted a video blog and we asked what are some of your "least" favorite songs....Some are just silly.

    The Scary Ghost stories...exactly. Once we sang that in a Christmas Ensemble (At Park Blvd..when we pastored there), and I hated that line...it was suggested we sing "Holy Ghost Stories"...but that is just as weird. I don't remember what we did.
    Have a great Christmas with your family and church!

    By Blogger Trisha, At 22 December, 2007 20:22  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home