Ken's-Den

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

October Baseball

It is here, once again! Time for the playoffs in the Major Leagues and time, once again, for Cub fans like me to wonder if "next year" could have possibly arrived.

I have a saying that I like to use in explaining my love for the perennial losers on the North side and that is, "Anyone can have a bad Century!"

Oh, the Cubs! The Cubs are a lot like Golf for me. Few things in life can be as equally exhilarating and frustrating at the same time. And Cub fans, we like the blame game! Heck, we have even blamed a goat since 1945. Now I'm hearing the name, Bartman, once again. Like Bartman finished pitching the game or booted the ground ball or swung the bat like an anemic amoeba in 2003.

I'm one Cub fan that doesn't believe in Curses although I can't quite remember what I said when Leon Durham let the ground ball go through his legs in 1984. The fact is that were aren't as cursed as much as we have been cheap. That's right, except for recent years, the Cubs organization have remained among the cellar dwellers in Club salaries and why not? When you have a ballpark that can only seat 2.5 to 3 million fans in one season and as long as those fans keep filling the seats with an inferior product on the field, why spend more money?

We spent quite a bit this year. Too much for Soriano in my opinion but even in a year in which the payroll topped 300 million, we sat on our hands at the trade deadline and did not go after this teams most glaring weakness. A bonafide Closer! I would feel a whole lot better about our chances in the playoffs, if we had an Eric Gange in the bullpen.

But regardless of what happens, I will have hope that we win it all this year. I will watch and listen to the games. I will get caught up in the emotional fervor and I will either witness history or be tremendously let down once again. Why? Because I AM A CUBS FAN!! And the one solace that Cubs fans have, regardless of where we finish, is this, at least I'm not a Cardinal Fan!!!! Peace to you, Darrell! LOL

3 Comments:

  • Ken, While I will confess that a small part of me would like for the Cubs to win it all, there is a larger part of me (the twisted part) that says, they cannot win it until they reach the 100 years of losing status.

    I see guys like you and Raphael and some other that really makes me want the Cubs to win it, but the majority of Cub fans are such jerks and so fickle that I just can't find it in myself to pull for them. One thing you have to say about the Cardinal fans... we really are loyal. You won't find us booing our own team. You won't find us hoisting signs to rip on our own players. You won't hear us calling in to the radio stations to bad mouth our team. I've come to realize that the majority of Cub fans would be miserable if they actually won it because they would not have anything to complain about!

    By Blogger Darrell, At 04 October, 2007 08:41  

  • "One thing you have to say about the Cardinal fans... we really are loyal. You won't find us booing our own team. You won't find us hoisting signs to rip on our own players. You won't hear us calling in to the radio stations to bad mouth our team."

    You can't be serious here, Dawg? It was just about 4 or 5 years ago that some yahoo hired a plane to circle downtown St. Louis with a banner behind it that read, "Save our Cards, Fire LaRussa!" You would never see that in Chi town.

    The true Cubs Fans are the most loyal in Baseball. They aren't the whiners that call into the radio talk shows. Yeah, they will boo a Zambranos when he pitches like his head is in limbo after holding us hostage with a Contract issue but the point is that they will show up to boo. We might win 90 games or 45 but we will draw between 2.5 to 3 million every year, regardless.

    Fickle? Yeah, I will admit that. Whether it's Cubs, Sox, Hawks, Bears or Bulls, we are a fickle bunch but if I read correctly, Jockety just got his walking papers one year after bringing a World Series to St. Louis. Seems fickleness has no boundaries? LOL

    By Blogger Ken, At 04 October, 2007 09:00  

  • My Mother instilled something inside of me years ago, she says, "It doesn't matter how they play, the Cubbies are our team!" You know I am the most un sports minded person in the world, I just go to eat, but I do say with all of my heart: Go cubs!

    By Blogger Neil, At 04 October, 2007 10:21  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home