Ken's-Den

Thursday, September 06, 2007

What did you say?

Few things simultaneously tickle and aggravate me more than people that have no tolerance for those that do not speak English. You hear it or read it all of the time. Someone gets their nose out of joint because it took a little extra effort to order their Big Mac and they usually end up responding with something like this. "If they are going to come to this Country, then they ought to at least learn the langauge!"

Here is my question. Which language would that be? Because the FACT is that if Immigrants from any part of the world should be banned from speaking their own language, NO ONE in the United States would be allowed to speak English. The fact is that there are several Native tongues in this Country and all of them are American Indian. So if Immigrants need to learn the language, which one should it be? Shawnee? Apachee? Cherokee? etc. etc.

I believe that what people that think like that are really saying is this, "They don't belong here!" My, my, aren't we important? Why do I believe that? Because with a little effort and understanding I can communicate with anyone at a base level. Yes, it takes a little more effort and patience but I believe that PEOPLE (no matter where they come from) are worth it. And when it bothers someone to take the time to attempt to communicate with another person, it really has nothing to do with language. :)

Imagine the Indians taking the same stance toward the Immigrants that we do today. But wait, to a degree they did and they were driven from their homelands for it. Do we want history to repeat itself? Then maybe we should attempt to be nicer.

Now, as far as special rights to those that come here illegally, that is a different writing for another day but just because someone does not speak English, does not mean that they are illegal. They are simply PEOPLE searching for a better life and that my friends, is no different than our English speaking ancestors.

I realize that many that read this will not agree with me and some may want to voice it. All that I ask is that you respond in the Native American Indian langauge of your choice! I'll take the time to figure it out because you are PEOPLE and people are worth it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home