Ken's-Den

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Keepers of "the list!"

Sometimes, really "religious" people grate on me. Kind of like sand in a shoe. You don't notice it until it irritates you and then it seems like you can't get rid of it. I like to call them "Keepers of the List." The list of what God will forgive and won't forgive. Forget the Lambs Book of Life, if you violate the list, YOU ARE DOOMED!!!

Such has been the case recently involving two "high profile" ministry couples and the fact that they are going through Divorces. One Couple, nationally known, recently announced to their Church that they were getting divorced because their "ministries were going in seperate directions" and the other Couple, not quite as well known but still high profile, had a knock down, drag out, cuss you out brawl in the streets of Atlanta during an attempt to reconcile the marriage. (ain't love grand?)

Besides the fact that two "Christian marriages" are failing, There are several sad points in this for me so I'm going to break them down for you in order.

Sad point #1. The first couple mentioned will continue their respective ministries in different parts of the Country. This is sad to "Keepers of the List" because "God hates divorce" and they are somehow unqualified to continue on. Yes, I truly believe that God hates divorce but in all honesty, I've never found the people going through one to be to thrilled about it. "Keepers of the List" are so hypocritical about this because we could have a cold blooded murderer come to Christ and they will be the toast of the religious world. "Come tell us about Jesus and His love" they would shout but let a couple have difficulty in making a marriage work and end in Divorce and they will be forever marked as unqualified to continue on in ministry.

The only reason why "they will continue on" is sad to me is because a marriage has failed and two people are hurt and they need time to heal and possibly even save the marriage but it is obvious that "the ministries" are more important than the marriage. Some may admire that, I find it extremely sad.

Sad point #2. Too many "Christians" (a.k.a. Keepers of the List) were waiting for this to happen! There is an alleged, "Christian Message Board" that I like to occasionally read. Why? Because, like you, I like to hear gossip and that is what this board thrives on. It is made up primarily of "keepers of the list" that are just waiting for others to make the list. As I read the other day, these two couples were fodder for the feeding frenzy. It was obvious from reading that there had been great jealousy against these couples and that they were finally "getting what they deserved!" The day that I take joy in ANY marriage ending will be the day that I resign the ministry all together. We are supposed to be the body of Christ. It's time we acted like it.

Sad point #3. Where could these Couples go? Is it possible that these two marriages could be or could have been saved if they had a safe place to go and someone that they could discuss their problems with CONFIDENTIALLY? Sometimes, Ministers feel like any acknowledgement of "problems" of any sort will somehow disqualify them from walking on water. Unfortunately, because of the "keepers of the list" influence, we do have to be gaurded in who we talk to but my point is that we ALL need someone to talk to in trust.

Do I have all the answers? Nope, I'm flawed, failed and futile and I have a tendency to like to hear gossip. Are you any different? But here is the good news: 28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
Romans 8:28 (KJV)

Is it possible that exposing my humanity could help someone else? Novel idea, don't you think? Yes, God hates divorce but as I read through His Word, I find that He is not toO fond of sin, PERIOD. But I am glad that he still forgives sin. Maybe it's time that we did too?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home