Ken's-Den

Monday, October 01, 2007

An awesome God

In nearly seven years of pastoring in the City, I thought that I has seen it all but last evening brought a great and precious first to me that I am still marveling over today.

Every month that has 5 Sundays we have what we call "Hidden Talents Night." We use to call it 5th Sunday Sing but the participation grew to include a little bit of everything so we changed the name. It basically is a fun night for people to try new things, old things or unique things that hi-lite their talents for God. We do it all for God and we have fun in doing it. We showcase everyone that wants to participate from young children to Senior Adults.

I don't generally know the agenda of a particular Hidden Talent night by my choice. I like to be surprised. I have a Minister of Music that I trust and who knows my heart and I give her the reign to run with it. Well, last night I was truly surprised. One of my former Heroin addicts came forward to sing a song. I knew that he was there but I thought it was for his child's participation. Imagine my surprise when this young man came forward and sang a beautiful song about the merciful love of God.

Why was this such a wonderful surprise? There are times in ministry and especially the pastorate when you wonder if you are ever getting through. It was just a couple of years back when I stood over this same young mans Hospital bed as he lay literally dying from a Heroin overdose. Just two days before I had been prompted by the Spirit to tell this young man to not do what he had planned or it may cost him his life. My thoughts as I stood at his Hospital bed ran the gamut of everything imaginable and I asked God for mercy for this young mans life. Mercifully, God spared him.

The young man continued to struggle with his addiction even after this close call and I had wondered if he would ever break free. I'm happy to report today that he has been clean and sober for quite an extended period of time now. He is becoming actively involved in Church and prison ministry and the song that he sang last night was a song that a ministry group had sang to him,once upon a time, while he was in prison.

How great is our God? How indescribable are His acts? How never ending and complete is His mercy? What an awesome God we serve!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home