Ken's-Den

Friday, January 19, 2007

Happenings

I thought that I would thumb my nose at my toes and write about some good stuff today.

Things have been going rather well for us of late. Extremely busy as usual but rather well. I am completing my first year as a Supervisor for my company and SHOULD BE getting a raise soon.

Around Christmas time our Hyundai Sonata, that we have had for six years, developed a rod knock so I had to put the proverbial bullet in it. In January we purchased a 2006 Mitsubishi Outlander and so far we are loving it. 170,000 K on a Hyundai ain't too bad.

I am excited about Church. With the exception of last weekend, (snow) we have had good attendance for January. Things are going very well and there is an excitement in the people as well. A young couple returned to Church recently. They have both been addicted to Heroin and it has nearly destroyed their lives. They have two beautiful children and everything to live for but addiction is a tough and unfeeling thing. About a year and a half ago I stood over the Fathers hospital bed as he lay dying from an overdose. I can't describe what I felt in that room that day other than to say it was obvious that death was there and in an ugly way. I've dealt with death during my tenure here. I've held the hand of a good friend as he took his last breath. It was obvious that death was there but that was nothing in comparison to what I felt that day in that hospital room. Miraculously, he recovered but the addiction still had its grip. We lost them for about a year and then they resurfaced. It's apparent that they have had their battles but I see a determination in them that I've not seen before. What the experience has taught me is the importance of focusing on the right thing.

Occasionally, it is very easy to get discouraged, especially when dealing with the addicted. You know that the power of God can help change their life and you do your best to be an instrument to be poured out of, only to see the power of the addiction win out. One thing that God has taught me in these six years is this, Failure is a choice. Just as much for me as it is the addicted. Please understand that I am not saying that failing is a choice. Sometimes we do fail because of our choices but an honest look at Scripture will teach us that sometimes failing is in the will of God. The Bible is full of men that failed but they were not failures. The difference is in what I choose to learn in my failings that will help me succeed. True Failure can only occur when I choose to give up and quit trying. So in the midst of failing, focus on what can be learned. Keep success in front of you and strive for it with God leading the way. There are times when goals need to be readjusted but overall, I'm not beaten if I don't quit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home