Ken's-Den

Friday, December 15, 2006

Boycotting Boycott's

Boycotts, especially "Christian" prompted boycotts, are something that I have been wrestling with of late. "WallyWorld" out of Bentonville (if you don't know what store that is just e-mail me) was the latest target of a "Christian Boycott." The reason for the boycott? WallyWorld had decided to donate a percentage of it's Black Friday profits to a Gay and Lesbian based group.

Well, the boycott began and WallyWorld quickly relented and the Kingdom of the self-righteous scored a grand victory for the Cause of Christ. (please not the intended sarcasm) I'm sarcastic about it because we, (Christians) come off looking like we are being bullies with our dollars. The Headlines didn't read anything about Christian groups doing anything but the headlines, for the most part, read like this: "Anti-Gay groups bring WallyWorld down."

Now don't misunderstand me. I've not changed any tune and I'm not about to be nominated as a spokesperson for gay/lesbian groups. Far from it but I believe our "anti-gay" stance is playing right into the hands of those with agendas. I believe that homo-sexuality is sin but I also believe that drug addiction is sin, alcholism is sin, gossiping is sin, many, many things are sin that can seperate us from God. So I ask myself, "Self, when was the last time you saw a "Christian boycott" of liquor stores, etc. etc) Or, "Self, are we anti-gay or anti-sin?"

What's the difference, you may ask. I believe it is in the ability to love the people involved in the sin without making their sin, their identity.

I think this boycott business is dangerous ground for Christians to walk on. What is it that we are saying? I believe it is saying that our power is in our money and that ideology not only frightens me to the core but I also find it highly hypocritical.

For example, let's take Pastors. A man works in a Church for a number of years, serving them to the best of his God given ability but on one particular Sunday, with no malicious intent at all, he offends his biggest tithe payer. That tithe payer starts a campaign to get rid of the Pastor and how does he do it. The power of money by withholding tithes and attempting to get others to join him.

I ask you, fellow Pastors, what is some of our typical responses to this scenario? I think the most widely used one is this. "When you tithe, you should be giving your money to God and not to man." As correct as that may be, is the bell of hypocrisy ringing in anyone elses ear?

When I shop, I am buying goods for my money. If I am suppose to maintain control of where that money goes, then I couldn't shop anywhere that I didn't know the lives of all of those on the payroll, the Board of Directors and even the Stockholders.

Now I know some of you that are reading this are probably steamed and mumbling something under your breath about "maintaining standards of decency" or something of that equivilent. You know what, I agree with you. I just don't believe a boycott does that. Oh, like the disgruntled Church member, you may get your way but there will be great animosity involved somewhere along the line.

Now, here's an idea that just might work. Instead of being watchdogs for wrong doers and attempting to bully or coerce them into doing things our way, why don't we focus on the positive? How do we do that?

Why don't we (as Christians) organize positively and create an organization that recognizes and endorses stores that maintain the values that we believe in? Sort of like a "CSA" (Christian Seal of Approval) Then, why don't we, as Christians, support those business's to the hilt, even if it costs us more, (shudder to think it) MONEY?

Some may say, it is the same difference as a boycott but I assure you that it is not. If we recognized, endorsed and supported Christian value oriented stores then instead of being confrontational, threatening and bullying to other stores, I believe we would become pursued by them. Instead of listing our demands, I believe others would begin to enquire of our requirements. Instead of trying to win a battle with the "power of our money", I believe we would show the world the power of our beliefs.

Goods and services are going to be bought by everyone and I can fault no one for doing so. And when I recieve my goods or services that is the end of my responsibility over that money. But if I choose to buy those goods or services from people of like mind, I believe I can maintain my standards without bullying anyone.

I've never liked bullies. I doubt I ever will.

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home