Ken's-Den

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Political Musings

Politics and common sense are far too often estranged. This current campaign is all the proof we need of that. I have a few things I want to share on the National and Local political front that I find highly amusing. I don't consider myself a Republican or Democrat. In fact, I think the "party" system is one of the reasons that this Country is in the mess it is in. Somewhere in the mix "character" should count. Instead we have a bunch of characters running for office.

Just so you know a little more about me I will tell you that more often than not, I do vote for Republican candidates. I do so based upon the issues of abortion and defense of marriage. In my opinion, little else matters if our values are skewed. However, I will state that the Republican party has been a great disappointment to me as they have squandered the last four years. I do support and uphold our President, even when I vehemently disagree with him and I would do the same if John Kerry had won the election. I wouldn't have liked it one bit but I would have supported him as President. I believe it is time to get out if Iraq. Not because of a "failure" of the administration but because the very ones we have liberated are now turning their backs on us, as is the case with the elected Prime Minister of Iraq. Anyway, back to the musings.

National Front

This week, in a prepared speech to College students, John Kerry made a statement that basically said, "get a good education or you'll end up in Iraq." (not an exact quote but it is the jist of his statement) The Republicans jumped on it like a blind dog in a meathouse turning it into the most interesting sound bite of any campaign so far.

Kerry, realizing his blunder, turned the spin doctors loose in an effort to minimize the damage. He is now saying that he blew a line in the prepared speech and that he was referring to Bush and his administration and not our Military.

First of all, if you have viewed and heard the sound bite on the news, you will see Kerry look down to his notes before delivering the line. So if Bush is the stupid idiot that the Dem's regularly attempt to make him look, then, (accepting his blown line statement at face value) what is Kerry? Apparently he can't even read.

Next, accepting his "blown line" statement at face value, what is Kerry saying about the American public? After all we elected this "uneducated man" so what is Kerry saying about us? And yes, WE elected the President. It matters not who you voted for in a democratic process.

No matter what spin is put on it, John Kerry owes the Military and the American public an apology but I won't be holding my breath.

Local Front

I am facing a dilemma in Illinois' Governer's campaign. I don't like either candidate. I believe G-Rod, (as we call him around here) is one of the most corrupt individuals to ever hold the office, and in Illinois, that is saying a lot.

His opponent, Judy Baar Topinka, is a very outspoken and straight talking individual. You rarely have to wonder what she means. In a man that would seem to be a good quality but as a female it makes her appear to be brash and abrasive. My dilemma is not in whether she is male or female but in my opinion her straight talk and outspokenness doesn't always seem to be very intelligent. Regardless of my opinion, she trails G-Rod, who will almost certainly be re-elected, although he has been under investigation ever since he took office.

The funny part about this is that we, Illinoisians, apparently think that Judy B is not qualified to be Governer, (for what ever reason) but the fact is that we have elected her to be our State Treasurer, three consecutive times. Apparently, we trust her with our money but------

Politics and common sense just don't mix!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home