Ken's-Den

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Where are we headed?

I'm sitting here today, greatly bothered by the recent rash of school shootings that have taken place. Particularly the one that took place yesterday in Amish country.

The majority of us, (those my age or older) grew up in a time where the only concern we had about school was grades and avoiding the playground bullies. These days, my son attends a school where the doors lock automatically and people must be "buzzed" in to gain entrance. We live in a day where when hears of such news as has taken place recently, one is thankful that it hasn't happened where we are at---yet. And sadly, we live in a day and age where, quite frankly, this doesn't affect us in the same manner that it once would have. Oh, there is shock, disgust and an outcry but it is quickly becoming too much of a normal news day. I believe the reason that yesterdays shooting is getting the coverage that it is, is simply because it happened to such a peaceful group of people.

In thinking about it, my mind went back to the Bush1/Clinton election and I remembered how Vice President, Dan Quayle, was openly rediculed and mocked because he stated that we, as a nation, needed to return to family values. He cited the then, sitcom, Murphy Brown, as an example of how single parented, unmarried households were becoming the norm for our society. Of course, he was attacked and maligned for his views and that particular stance became political fodder for how out of touch the current administration was. However, I don't remember any mass school shootings before that time. I'm sure there was an occasional crackpot that in their insanity, mamed and killed but nothing like we have today. Today, it is kids, killing kids and it isn't in areas that one would expect. Columbine was an affluent school in an upscale area. The young men involved in that shooting were from "good" but broken families. Our youth today have lost an innocense that once was common placed.

No, I'm not blaming the politicians for the killings in schools. Although I strongly disliked Clinton and all that he stood and didn't stand for, it's not his fault that we have come to this point. Like it or not the blame falls upon each and every one of us. We are a government "for the people and by the people" so in that sense it is governments fault. I'm not trying to make Dan Quayle out to be a saint, far from it, but his words echo in my ear this morning. It is my belief that God was giving us warning back then about the direction that we were heading as a society. The warning was laughed at, scorned and rediculed and sadly, I'm afraid we have arrived at the destination we were warned about.

I don't mean to bring anybody "down" today but I am bothered and I think it is time that we speak up and speak out. My prayer is that it isn't too late.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home