Ken's-Den

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Some of my Heroes

I was thinking the other day, (I always note when I do because it don't happen too often), about the people who have impacted my life through the years and I thought I would share some of those thoughts with you. Heroes come in all shapes and sizes. They don't duck into phone booths or get mad and turn muscular green whe they are angry. They are just people. People who lead by example. People who have a knack for being there. People who you want to pattern your life after. God has blessed me with many and for that I am eternally grateful.

Old School Heroes:
My Dad. Through the years, Dad has been an example. Not always a perfect one but an example nonetheless. You can't spend 10 minutes with the man without knowing that he has a deep, abiding love for God and for the Church. He taught me faith at an early age and even now, in the midst of a debilitating accident he shows me great faith every day.

My Grandpa Childers. I only had him in my life for the first 17 years but the impact of those years still affect me today. He was a man of great wisdom and I still miss him every day. He was the glue that held his family together and from his death I learned that we ALL need glue.

William & Esther Witcher: I first met the Witcher's back around 1968-69. I was around 7 at the time and they were preparing to begin their ministry. I had a big time crush on Esther although I had difficulty with her name and called her "Festus." Still do, for the laugh. William or "Butch" as he is more commonly known by, began pastoring the Oak Hill Church of God, in Forrest City AR, back in the early 70's and as far as I know, he is still there today. Definitley the longest serving COG pastor that I have personally known. Butch and Esther didn't build a Church but in my opinion they birthed a Church. I rarely get to see them these days but the impact that their love and devotion for a local congregation has made on me, affects me to this day.

Edgar and Andrea Foster: I first met the Foster's in 1970, when Edgar preached a remarkable revival for my Dad, in Brookport, IL. I had a big time crush on Andrea too! I'm beginning to see a pattern here. LOL It was in this revival that I first began to understand the power of the Holy Spirit. I've been in and through many, many revivals in my lifetime but I've never witnessed another that had such a powerful and long lasting impact on a Church and community. Those were truly special days and the Foster's are heroes to me.

Evangelist George Horton: The summer that I turned 16, Brother Horton held a Revival for my Dad in the little town of Logan, IL. It was during that revival that I received my personal call to ministry and it was a night that I have never forgotten. The Holy Spirit rested so heavily on me that I felt as if electricity was flowing through my body. I became drunk in the Spirit. I acted ways that I had said I would never act. I laughed, I cried then I laughed some more. Most importantly, I felt God speak, for the first time in my life that I had no doubt. That night is a bedrock truth in the rest of my life and Brother Horton will always have a place in my heart. Some folks don't "go for that emotionalism." Bless their little Ole hearts. I don't base my walk on feelings but I do enjoy them when they happen. To me, something is wrong with an experience in which emotions are not involved. Nearly thirty years later that night still resonates within my soul.

I have many, many more heroes to share but I'll call this a good start and get some sleep.

And now, all glory to God, who is able to keep you from stumbling, and who will bring you into his glorious presence innocent of sin and with great joy. 25 All glory to him, who alone is God our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Yes, glory, majesty, power, and authority belong to him, in the beginning, now, and forevermore. Amen.
Jude 1:24-25 (NLT)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home