Ken's-Den

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Thoughts on things

I read a lot from various places and don't always remember where so I can't give the proper credit for this but it sure made me think. It went sort of like this.

I work a job where I am subject to take a urine/drug at any random time. I agreed to this at the beginning of my employment because it was a condition of my employment. I did so in order that I might receive a regular salary to live my life with. Out of that regular salary, I pay taxes. Taxes that are used for a variety of things. Some that I am happy about and some that I don't care so much for.

Out of that tax money that I pay from my job, where I am subject to drug testing at any given time, I help fund the welfare system in this Country. While welfare, in and of itself is a concept that I believe in, I also realize that there are many that regularly abuse that system. I am not so blind as to believe that the abusers are of any one particular race, creed or culture but I am not so naive to think that abuses don't occur either. Many of those that are abusing the system are hooked on drugs or alcohol and those habits are the very reason that they end up in the system.

So, being the deep thinker that I am, (with tongue planted firmly in cheek as I write that) I am wondering why I must subject myself to random drug testing in order to help fund a way of life for someone that may abuse drugs? It makes no sense.

How about this for welfare reform? Let's make the recipients subject to random drug testing. If they pass the test and are in need of help, let's do all we can to help them but should they fail a random drug test, let's make their benefits contingent upon entering a state sponsored Rehab program that focuses on educating and changing lives. If I am subject to it in order to provide it, shouldn't they be subject to it in order to recieve it?

I doubt it will ever be. There's just too much common sense in it.

1 Comments:

  • I'm not sure what effect this would have on the crime rate although I'm fairly sure it would affect it. (possibly negatively as well)
    The world sin't ready for my views on reducing the crime rate, just yet! LOL

    By Blogger Ken, At 14 February, 2007 10:02  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home