Ken's-Den

Sunday, November 12, 2006

God is God and I am not

In my nearly six years now at Narragansett, I am still overwhelmed at the fact that I've been called to be there. I've never been what anyone would consider to be "urban" by any stretch of the imagination. I grew up in many Americana style small towns and my "wild" days are pretty tame in comparison to what I see now on a weekly basis. I've questioned God many times on why I am where I'm at. I've argued that others would be more qualified. I've insisted that I'm over my head. I've protested that there are more capable ministers for the congregation that I've been given charge of. God's reply to me is usually a very simple, "I know and that's why you're here." He really ticks me off some times. ;<)

We had great services Sunday. God moved in a powerful way and I haven't beat myself up too much over what I could have done better because after all, God knows and that's why I'm here.

Today I saw the return of one of my "addicts." One of the most frustrating things of an urban pastorate is the drug culture and in my nearly six years, I have pretty much seen it all. (and you thought pastoring was glamorous now, didn't you) I have a cast of regulars that come in and attempt to get clean and pretty soon they are back out and using again. I won't see them for months at a time and then they will either get in trouble with the law or OD and end up coming back home. There are a few success stories but overall the drug culture has a strong grip in this area.

The young man that returned today, (we'll call him "Steve," God knows who he is) has been in and out of prison. He is a heroin addict and his addiction makes him look much older than what I'm guessing is his 35 years. The first time I met him I could see great potential in his life, if he could ever get past his addiction. When he is clean, he is a very polite, charasmatic and good looking young man. When he is dirty, he falls off of the face of the earth for months at a time. Today he gave his heart back to God. Ironically, I preached on "commitment." God spoke directly to his heart.

I want to ask all of you to pray for "Steve." I believe his life is in the balance. I believe that if he gets it together and becomes victorious over his problems that, through God, he can wreak great havok to the kingdom of the enemy.

I could be wrong. After all, I'm unqualified, filled with inability and over my head. But thank God that God knows!

1 Comments:

  • When you look at the congregation and see them as individuals, do you ever see that hey God was able to touch one of them through you? a word that was used,was the confirmation someone was looking for that God has told them something during the week and they were still puzzling over it until He used the sermon?
    You won't see the smile, but I will ask you, Does God know what He is doing?

    By Blogger Tenacious Irishman, At 13 November, 2006 08:51  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home