Ken's-Den

Saturday, March 06, 2010

The value of brokenness

I believe that brokenness is one of the most misunderstood aspects of the Christian faith. Brokenness, in and of itself, is not a very desireable thing because we generally equate it to our human understanding. When something is broken our general remedy is to throw it out. The same concept sort of applies spiritually but it is that process of throwing out that we truly become closer to God.

I preached once on the value of brokenness and had a Lady get very upset with me. "God didn't want us to broken, He wants us to be happy!" was her general argument. It was no surprise that she was a disciple of a T.V. Evangelist that smiles a lot and sort of sounds like Stuart Smalley of SNL fame. The true fact is that brokenness is a direct product of repentance and true repentance leads to a changed life. That is something that I can smile about.

Don't get me wrong, brokenness in the Christian faith is not walking around with a cloud over your head, singing "Gloom, Despair and agony on me." Living with a heart of brokenness spiritually is to live every day in such a manner that I am aware of the heart of God toward my life and am instantly convicted if I trangress that heart in any way. Convicted to the point of repentance which bring change.

How valuable is brokenness? I believe it can prevent us from ultimately committing the greatest sin. Some would argue, "what is the greatest Sin?" and probably have a comparitive list but the Word tells us that the only unforgiveable sin is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. There are many schools of thought on what blasphemy is. For nearly all of my life I have heard it preached that blasphemy was denying that there is a Holy Spirit. I don't really agree with that assessment because if it were so there would be no hope for the Atheists of this world.

I believe that the road to blasphemy is paved with hardened heart that have learned to ignore God's promptings. I believe it starts with little things. Things that convict is but we justify it and then ignore it and after time we can't feel anything anymore because our hearts become hardened and our lives become empty and void.

I believe that brokenness always points us to God and what can be more valuable than that?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home