Ken's-Den

Saturday, May 26, 2007

May 26th

Franklin Roosevelt called December 7th, 1941, "a day that will live in infamy." Well, I'm not sure about the infamy part, but the date, May 26th, 2006, will certainly have a distinctive memory in the lives of the Holt family.

It was one year ago, today, that my Father, Jerry Holt, was involved in a near fatal, Motorcyle accident. He was just out for a little cruise before making the drive North to be at our anticipated family reunion in Rochelle, IL. Someone pulled out right in front of him and within a matter of seconds he lay on the road, literally dying.

Dad was airlifted to Vanderbilt University Hospital in Nashville. We would later learn that one of the Medic's on the life flight stated, that Dad, "would never make it to Nashville." It's funny that writing and e-mailing friends and family about the extent of Dad's injuries was somewhat theraputic for me and indirectly led to the creation of this blog but yet today, I can't bring myself to write about the extent of his injuries on that awful day.

Needless to say, a big portion of that much anticipated family reunion occured at Vanderbilt as we sat and awaited the mercy and healing power of God. Initially, we were given no hope of Dad's survival, period. But day by day, although still in a coma, he would mend. Then the Doc's reports turned into the, "it appears that he is going to survive but we aren't sure how the quality of life will be." I have great respect and admiration for Doctors and the work that they do, but everyday I thank my God that those Doctors weren't the last authority that we could go to!

Yes, it's been one year ago today and I would like to say that it's all been smooth sailing but the fact is that it has been a year filled with ups and downs, victories and defeats and hope tempered with caution. Not only has Dad survived but he is getting better all the time. He is now walking every day, seemingly gaining strength with each step and although we still haven't seen the total miracle that we pray daily for, his recovery has truly been miraculous!

Quality of life? I'm not sure what that is all about but I can tell you that recently I was able to take Dad to see my Son, his youngest Grandson, play a Baseball game. That was definitely a quality moment considering where we were, one year ago today.

My family has many thanks to give to many folks. Some of them I will give generically and a few I will give specifically. They are all meant from the heart. Thanks to all the great family members and friends, who have stood by and supported us through this most difficult year. All those who have visited at just the right time and the Cards and letters and e-mails of prayers and support. It's been said that the quality of a man can be measured by the friends he keeps. I'm proud to say that my Dad is a "good" man!

Special thanks to Rev. Don & Sissy Stovall and all the people of the Church of God in Illinois. The Stovall's made several trips to Vanderbilt while life still hung in the balance. They prayed with us, cried with us and supported us. Through Bro. Stovall's efforts much needed financial help came. Even an offering from the Illinois Camp Meeting. Your kindnesses will always be remembered.

Special thanks to Pastors Charles Tate and Gaylon Stewart and also Pastor George. All three made the trip to Nashville on several occasions and have "been there" for us in big ways since that time.

Special thanks to Dad's childhood friend, Tommy Duncan and family, for allowing us the use of their Brentwood home during "Fanfare" in Nashville, when all the Hotels were booked. Your beautiful home was a Sanctuary of sorts for Mom during a difficult time.

Special thanks to the Church of God's "Spirit Care" and Rev. Gene Rice for the donation you made to our family in its time of need.

Special thanks to James & Paula Chapman for being the friends that you have always been. You guys rock!

There are many, many others that I can't possibly thank enough but I want you all to know that your kindness and love toward our family will never be forgotten.

Happy Memorial Day from the Holt family and may God's blessings rest upon you all!

1 Comments:

  • Dear Pastor Ken,
    I thought I'd drop in at Ken's Den to see what's up and read that Buck Gwaltney went home to be with the Lord. What a beautiful reunion that must've been.

    Many years ago, a young man and his two small children visited Narragansett and sat in the rear of the church. His beautiful daugher, who had long beautiful hair, was named Phyllis and his little red-haired boy was named Keith. They came alone, but in time, eventually, his wife came with them. If my memory serves me, they didn't miss many services after that until Violet's illness set in. They were faithful! I enjoyed watching those children grow up in the church, marry and have their own families. I hadn't seen Phyllis & Bill for many years until my Mom passed away last year. Again, they were faithful in attending her services. At the graveside service, Buck needed help walking to the gravesite, but he made it. He really made it now and he no longer needs help.

    Since Mom's passing, Heaven has become a real place to me. My goal is to be obedient and stay in God's Word and to encourage my children and grandchildren to do the same.

    I have read many books on angels since I was in the hospital room when the angels came to prepare her. I didn't know it at the time, but she did. The next day they took her, probably on that 'big bird, she kept seeing flying around the room.

    I am currently reading and re-reading 'Heaven' by Randy Alcorn. I think it's the most comprehensive book ever written about Heaven and I can't wait to go.

    This has been a tough year but with God's guidance and some spiritual supervision from Mom, Joe and I are doing fine. I have inherited his 'daily phone calls' that he used to make to Mom and I treasure everyone of them too even if I have to put him on speaker and continue my chores.

    Give my best to Debbie.

    Your friend in Christ,
    Phyllis Copley Turner
    Lakeland Florida

    By Blogger Nana T, At 26 May, 2007 20:04  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home