Ken's-Den

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Happy Anniversary, Debbie!

Christmas Eve, 1985, I knelt beside a Christmas tree and asked the young and beautiful, Deborah Ann McKinney to marry me. Her stunned reply was exactly this, "Are you serious?" Well, serious I was and her EVENTUAL answer was Yes and April 19th, 1986 we were Wed. We have laughed many times over the years over Debbie's reply to that Christmas Eve question but 21 years later I can't imagine a day in my life without her. We have a wonderful marriage, experiencing both great times and difficult ones but no matter what we have faced, we have faced it together.

There were people in line at our reception that actually muttered, "it won't last six months!" So we often joke that we have stayed together for spite. But together we are and together we will always be.

What's the secret of our success? First, we were Friends, I've known Deb for more than 30 years. Second, we took the time to fall in love as Friends. Too many people rush into things based just on emotional feelings, forgetting that anger is an emotion just the same as any of them. Lastly, a shared Faith that simply cannot be over valued. Check your egos at the door and put God first.

I married so far over my head that at times, I am amazed by it. I think that's a success secret too. Never lose the capacity to be in awe of the fact someone has chosen to love YOU for life. It's a pretty awesome thing when realized.

So, anyway, Happy Anniversary, Deb! With each and every passing day, I love you more!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home